Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Devlin Reminder Thats 10,000 Years Old:

by Matthew Moody
Business In Creative Design-
01/08/2015


     Devlin was a lot more enlightening that he knew.
     The notes I recall: I am grateful that brought up that any one can have success (even the 11th son of a successful family). Also that, even though you have all these people around you, there are still ideas to make money off of (again- very goo 11th son).
      He also elaborated on a fact that I was no aware: BYU Business grads CAN succeed. This is good news. And no, I will not apologize for that!
     He also mention Paul Gramm and his books and lectures, all of which are very good and everyone who plans on ever opening a business should give them a listen.
     And, finally, he came to the matter at hand. He answered the big question.
    The question that I knew I wanted to ask Devlin, and he answered it with the 10,000 year old paradigm that has always been the business model: what was your idea?
    The answer: he looked for a problem, and he fixed it. Then he shared it with people in trade for goods and services.
     When man first saw his problems in ages past- the dark, the cold, hunger, thirst, etc.- he looked around and he had an idea.
    Fire makes light, so, my idea: if I have fire, I can see in the dark.
    I can get warm by covering my skin-
    I see the animals eating things. I can eat those too. And, hey, I could probably eat the animal as well.
    Water quenches thirst. I know. If I'm always near water, I will never be thirsty. And there will always be animals nearby, and plants.
    And all business stems from this same simple pattern: here is a problem. I have an idea. I fix the problem with this idea. Now I share it with everyone else for a small fee.
    An oversimplification probably.
    But no less true, and inspirational.

     Devlin, it turns out, is responsible for the Canvas education software (which makes him awesome), and I don't mind saying that a better solution for handling online class work was sorely needed and I am glad he came along.  

No comments:

Post a Comment